Meditation is the best medicine for gaining peace and for falling asleep without any prescription. It is a form of exercise that can be done anywhere and at anytime. Meditation helps in staying in the present without thinking about the past and without any thoughts controlling your mind while sleeping. Guided sleep meditation is a kind of meditation where one spends time focusing on what’s important in the present. It teaches the right way to push the negative thoughts aside and helps in focusing on the positive ones.
How is guided meditation helpful?
Guided meditation for sleep helps you focus on your breathing and helps in paying attention to the present. There are certain ways through which guided meditation can affect the brain in a good way.
- It helps in enhancing the brainwaves- By not sleeping properly at night one experiences beta waves. These beta waves are increased by the worrisome thoughts and also by stress that one takes because of their inability to sleep. The problem of not sleeping which is because of the beta waves can be controlled by meditating. Meditation helps in calming the beta waves and for increasing the other brain waves such as alpha, delta and theta which promote relaxation.
- Focus on present and not on tomorrow- Guided meditation helps in focusing on the present instead of tomorrow. Meditating helps the mind in becoming peaceful and relaxed as one is able to manage their thoughts well. Controlling of thoughts is what one actually learns after guided meditation for sleep.
- The melatonin production- Melatonin is known to be a hormone which is known for making one feel sleepy. At night brain releases melatonin which in return relaxes the body; those who meditate have higher melatonin level as compared to those who don’t.
Tips for guided meditation for sleep
In order to meditate in the right way one should follow these tips:
- Meditation can be done at any time of the day but it is better to meditate before going to bed. This helps in feeling relaxed and it also helps in increasing the melatonin production. You just need to sit in the right position on the bed, turn off the lights, close the eyes and start breathing. One can even do counting while breathing.
- Little bit of stretching along with breathing is the best way to keep the body and mind relaxed. For this one should close their eyes and then take a deep breath, while exhaling try touching your toes with your hands. This is the best way to release tension while stretching.
- Visualise something that is quite pleasant, just close your eyes take a few breaths and then focus on something that can help you get over the stress. This is a great way of escaping your bad thoughts and bringing in the positive thoughts.
Hence guided meditation for sleep is the best way to feel relaxed and to build a positive outlook by keeping the negative thoughts aside.