Essential oils as we all know help in developing focus, in feeling relaxed and energised as well as they help in staying calm and composed. But do you know that essential oils can affect the emotional well being of a person. Emotions and essential oils go hand in hand as they can affect the mood and emotions of a person in a great way and there are various essential oils that are effective in doing this.
How do essential oils actually affect the emotions?
Well as mentioned before emotions and essential oils go hand in hand; and the essentials oils can affect the emotions in a strong way through the nose. Yes, the smell of the essential oil can affect the emotional system directly. Olfaction is what the sensing of the smell of essential oils is known as. The inhaling of these oils can help the body in feeling calm, relax as well as energised. The essential oils are known to have natural chemicals which evaporate and then the molecules of it are inhaled, which triggers the emotions.
Various oils and their effect on emotional well being
- Bergamot- This is a flavour that is used in the earl grey tea because its aroma is known for improving the mental as well as emotional state of a person. It is known for reducing the stress hormone which is known as cortisol. The bergamot essential oil helps in lowering the anxiety level as well as it reduces stress and maintains cortisol level.
- Cedar- Inhaling the cedar essential oil reduces the stress and also helps in improving the hormonal balance.
- Orange oil- The smell of the orange essential oil is known for dealing with emotional balance and for bringing in a positive outlook. It deals with emotional stress and is also known to be safe for use be it in the summers or the winters.
- Rose oil-The rose essential oil is used for dealing with grief, as it reminds one of the past associations in a positive manner.
- Geranium- Those who are emotionally stressed and require healing should use the Geranium essential oil. It is also good for women who are facing the perimenopause period.
- Lavender- For dealing with depression and anxiety, lavender essential oil is considered to be the best. It is a mood enhancer and helps in balancing the emotional well being of a person.
- Vetiver- This is an anti-anxiety drug and has a lot of beneficial affects. Inhalation of this can help in dealing with anxiety to a great extent.
- Clary sage- This essential oil is usually used to deal with hormonal imbalance in women as it is known for increasing the happiness hormone and for also reducing the stress hormone especially during menopause.
Essential oils are true value for money and you usually get what you pay, but there are also cheap oils that have artificial ingredients in them making the benefits quiet negligible. So one should just be careful while buying essential oils, you can also read the reviews online of the various oils before buying them according to the problem and emotional stress that one is dealing with.