Aromatherapy is a type of holistic treatment which uses all natural things to promote health, it mainly uses essential oils which is why it is also known as essential oil therapy. Aromatherapy mainly uses all aromatic essential oils that help in improving the health of the mind, body and soul. It not only enhances the physical health but also the emotional well being. So does aromatherapy work? Well it does and but it should not be used as regular treatment but in a few conditions it does have some benefits.
How does aromatherapy work?
Aromatherapy does work but it is not everytime but still it is important to understanding the working of Aromatherapy before using it. It works through the senses as the essential oils are absorbed through smell or skin by the use of the following products:
- bathing salts
- facial steamers
- body oils
- cream or lotions
- clay masks
What is aromatherapy used for?
Aromatherapy is known for improving a lot of long terms as well as short term health issues; there are a lot of health conditions in which one can benefit from aromatherapy:
- Muscle pain
- Joint pain
- infection in the respiratory system
- Digestive system
- Fluctuations in blood sugar
Aromatherapy has positive, sedative as well as stimulant effects on the central nervous system as well as on the immune system. In order to get best results from aromatherapy one should use pure essential oils rather than the synthetic ones.
Benefits of aromatherapy
- Relaxation- A lot of essential oils that are used in aromatherapy are great for those people who feel stresses or anxious. Lavender oil is known to be best for dealing with a condition like this as its scent is known to have a calming effect that can really make one feel relaxed. Aromatherapy acts as a mood enhancer and also helps in reducing the level of anxiety and this has been seen in a number of people. Adding a few drops of essential oil to your bath can also help in feeling relaxed.
- Improvement of sleep quality- A lot of aromatherapy oils help people in feeling less stressed which automatically improves the quality of sleep. People who deal with insomnia, anxiety or restlessness benefit a lot from aromatherapy especially if essential oils like chamomile, rose, vetiver and lavender. Make sure to diffuse essential oil in the bedroom through a candle or a diffuser.
- Treatment of respiratory problems- Aromatherapy oils have antiseptic properties that help in dealing with problems such as cough and cold caused by bacteria and fungus. Citrus oils help in improving the immune system and reduce depressive qualities.
Aromatherapy has great benefits and works on a number of health problems but there are a few instances when it would not work, which can be due to the essential oil being used. So always make sure to choose the right essential oil.